Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Fear of 11i

I'm not looking forward to 11i.

I'm sure there will be all sorts of exciting new features designed to make me redundant, but the main reason is that I'll have to upgrade my lab machines.

Each new version has increased the minumum hardware requirements, but it is usually possible to run Oracle below the minimum requirements if all you are doing is single user experimentation. There are exceptions though. I tried to run Grid Control on a machine with 512MB of RAM (the recommended minimum is 1024MB) and I spent more time dealing with OC4J crashes than tring out grid control.

Most of my lab machines are so old that they are not worth upgrading - either they are at the maximum RAM or the RAM is no longer readily available.

When I finally bite the bullet, I will probably invest in something big and state of the art which can support at least 2 VMWare virtual machines concurrently.

No comments: